You should have received an email from firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com that contains a link to accept the invitation to grant you access. If you have not received the invitation email please reach out to your NORC contact to receive a new email.
Please follow the steps below to complete the process.
- Open the invitation email from firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Click on the link next to Go To that is highlighted in orange or blue.
If you are not already signed into to Office 365 in the browser you will see the following screen.
- If your email was from firstname.lastname@example.org, click on Accept invitation.
Click on Microsoft account, or Organizational account if you already have an account. (If you do not have either, click on Create a Microsoft account, it's quick and easy!)
After selecting one of the sign in options you will be prompted to sign in.
Under Sign in enter your username/email.
Click on Next.
You will then be prompted to enter your account's password.
Under Enter password type in your account's password.
NORC requires all guest users to setup multi-factor authentication (MFA) to access our sites. After entering your password, you should see a "More information required" prompt. Click Next.
Microsoft recommends using the Microsoft Authenticator app to set up MFA. If you do not have Microsoft Authenticator installed on your mobile device, you can use the "Download now" link to set up the app.
IMPORTANT: You can scan a download link for your mobile device from the Microsoft Authenticator page
If you want to use an alternative authenticator app, you can click "I want to set up a different authenticator app"
If you want to use a text message, you can click "I want to use a different method"
However you chose to setup MFA, you can follow the on screen prompts to complete the setup. If you chose to use Microsoft Authenticator, after you've installed the app on your mobile device, click Next.
From your Microsoft Authenticator app, add an account, and select "Work or school", then click Next from the prompt window on your computer.
Scan the QR code using your mobile device. Click Next.
MFA setup will be completed automatically, and you should be re-directed to the site you've been granted access to.
Creating a Microsoft Account
If you do not have an existing Microsoft account or an Organizational account, you can create a new Microsoft account very easily as below:
- If you still have the Welcome to SharePoint Online window open as shown above in step 3 click on the link Create a Microsoft account, it's quick and easy! or click here.
- Under Create account enter your email address of choice.
- Click on Next.
- Under Create a password enter a password to use for this account.
- At the verification screen you will be prompted to enter the code sent to your email address.
Check your email's inbox for the email.
- Open the Verify your email address email from the Microsoft account team.
- Double-click the code to select it then press CTRL+C, or right click it and select Copy to copy the code.
- Paste the code (CTRL+V or right click and select Paste) where the field has Enter code.
- Lastly, you will be prompted to enter a captcha on the next screen under Enter the characters you see.
- After entering the characters click on Next to complete the process.
- Your account is now created and you will be brought to the homepage.