Thank you for registering for the Social Media Application Workshop at the 2014 International Field Directors and Technology Conference.
During this workshop, you will receive an introduction to the role of social media data within social science research, and then dive into setting up a development environment for creating social media data collection applications. This will be followed by a short break and then we will spend the remainder of the workshop developing a Facebook data collection application that is integrated into a web survey.
In order to accomplish this ambitious agenda we ask that you come to the workshop with the following created / installed
A personal laptop with the following applications installed:
- A Facebook account. In order to programmatically access data from Facebook a Facebook application is required, and Facebook applications can only be created through a Facebook Developer user account.
- Python 2.7.6
- To install Python go to https://www.python.org/downloads/
- Click the “Download Python 2.7.6” button
- After python-2.7.6.msi has finished downloading open the file and follow the instructions in the installation wizard
- If you changed the installation folder, write down the new location and bring this record to the workshop
- Go to: http://git-scm.com/
- Click the “Download for …” button
- After file has downloaded open and follow installation instructions
- PyCharm Community Edition (or other IDE/text editor)
Please contact Michael Jugovich with any questions you may have in regards to the workshop.