NORC At A Glance
About Our Name
- Our name is NORC at the University of Chicago for all media, communications, and marketing purposes.
- Preferred first reference is "the independent research organization NORC at the University of Chicago."
- Second reference may be to "NORC." From our founding in 1941 through 2010, we were incorporated as the National Opinion Research Center.
- In 2010, to reflect the many changes in our mission and the global nature of our work, our to-do-business (TDB) name was established as NORC.
- NORC is not an acronym, it is our name, as with organizations such as IBM, AT&T, RAND, and GEICO. We use NORC at the University of Chicago to emphasize our close affiliation with the University.
Current President and Chief Executive Officer is
Daniel S. Gaylin.
Chairman of the Board of Trustees is
Offices are in Chicago, the D.C. Metro area, Atlanta, Silicon Valley, and Boston.
NORC is an independent affiliate of the University of Chicago. Over 50 percent of the NORC Board of Trustees are University of Chicago faculty or officers.
NORC can provide expert sources familiar with key survey data and analysis of that data on a wide array of issues.
- Health and Well-Being
- Economics, Markets, and the Workforce
- Education, Training, and Learning
- Global Development
- Society, Media, and Public Affairs
- Strategy and Planning
- Design and Methodology
- Data Collection and Management
- Analytics and Data Science
- Evaluation, Program Implementation, and Policy Analysis
Employees (approximate numbers)
- 800+ permanent employees
- 39 Senior Fellows
- Approximately 700 telephone interviewers
- Approximately 800 field interviewers
Examples of Landmark Studies
Sparks is a collaborative blog where Experts from NORC at the University of Chicago share their insights on the news, their research, developments in their fields, and changes in society.
The AP-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research taps into the power of social science research and the highest-quality journalism to bring key information to people across the nation and throughout the world.
NORC at the University of Chicago is an independent research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, NORC has conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with NORC to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.